Get involved and stay up to date on all things Hoover!
- Join the Hoover PTA here and the Hoover PTA Facebook Page.
- Read Hoover Notes (located under the "More" tab), the PTA's weekly e-newsletter that provides important PTA, Hoover, Cluster Schools and MCPS news and information. If you are not receiving Hoover Notes by email, please contact Ms. King at PresidentHooverPTA@gmail.com.
- Link your Harris Teeter VIC card to the Together in Education program to earn money for Hoover. Click here for more detail.
- If you would like to support Hoover's wonderful staff, please consider buying something from their Amazon Gift Registry. After school club teachers have requested 3,000 individual snacks! Donations should be delivered to the "Gift Registry Address".
- Hoover will email a monthly Principal's Message and a weekly Assignments Summary. If you are not receiving these emails, contact Sandra N. Nesbit, Administrative Secretary at Sandra_N_Nesbit@mcpsmd.org.
- Check out the Hoover Website for up-to-date information from the staff and faculty.
PTA Activities & Events
The PTA offers Spirit Nights throughout the school year to raise funds for PTA activities and support local businesses. Mark your calendar for 12/6 at Ledo Pizza (Westlake Drive).
Please consider sponsoring this year's Hoover directory by placing an ad for your business. Advertising starts as low as $275. Please reach out to Stephanie Kempter from AtoZ Connect to reserve your spot.
Help us show our gratitude for the amazing Hoover Staff! Please contact Kimberly King at PresidentHooverPTA@gmail.com if you want to participate.
Donate a pie or other sweet treats, or homemade bread for staff to enjoy over Thanksgiving break. We will collect items during the morning carpool on 11/21. You can also drop them off at the coordinator's house near Potomac Village.
The Hoover Book Fair ended 11/16.
BOOK FAIR CONTEST
NAACP PARENTS COUNCIL
The HHMS NAACP Parents' Council is having their third meeting on 12/6 at 7 pm. The Parents’ Council is one of the vehicles created to empower African American and other minority parents to take a more proactive role in the education of their children. The purpose of the Parents’ Council is to provide a forum through which interested citizens may offer assistance, guidance, and support to African American parents and students of Montgomery County (Maryland) Public Schools (MCPS) to pursue the highest quality education possible through encouragement, information sharing, positive motivation, critical evaluation and advocacy. Contact Lauren Oxner, HHMS NAACP Parents' Council Representative at HMSNAACPREP@gmail.com
with any questions. The Zoom link is:https://us06web.zoom.us/j/88172164622?pwd=aB6ubvITdTJs9gO7rTCahaH5O1i88e.1
NATIONAL PTA REFLECTIONS CONTEST
NEW DEADLINE: Sunday 11/26 at midnight!
More details about submitting art for the 2023-2024 National PTA Reflections Art Contest, "I Am Hopeful Because..." can be found under the "Reflections" tab.
PTA Shout Outs
- A huge thank you to our PTA members for a tremendous 2022-2023 school year! Your support and the hard work and dedication of our PTA Board and Hoover Staff made it possible for the PTA to accomplish so much. Highlights from the year are located under the "More" tab.
- Thank you to the families and staff who have already joined the PTA!
- Congratulations to the Pegu Family (6th), Miller Family (7th) and A. Family (8th) who are the winners of the free basket of Spirit Wear. Members who joined the PTA by September 17th were entered into the drawing.
- Spirit Wear sales have already surpassed last year with $2,620 raised!
- Thank you to everyone who attended the first PTA General Membership Meeting on October 10.
- Special thanks to Anne Glynn for planning the Halloween Party and the parent volunteers and staff.
- Thank you to the parent volunteers and staff for a successful Book Fair.
- We are so grateful for the families that provided 48 sweet treats and 5 floral arrangements for our staff dinner and Thanksgiving give away.
- Dr. Kim's November Message is available here.
- The Hoover SGA and Student Ambassadors are partnering with So What Else, Inc. to host a food drive to help ensure no family goes hungry this Thanksgiving. Please help by bringing any non-perishable food items to the main office through 11/21.
- Some of the student report cards contain inaccurate student service learning (SSL) information. MCPS can confirm that the students’ SSL records in Student/ParentVUE remain intact and continue to report the correct information. If you would like to know the current number of SSL hours on your student SSL record, you can view the full details of the student’s SSL record on Student/ParentVUE by following the directions provided at this link - https://bit.ly/SSLonVUE. Once the report card issue is fixed, Hoover will repost an updated report card in Student/ParentVUE.
- The Media Center is looking for volunteers starting the week of 11/13. Here is the link to sign up. Sign up is till the end of December. Volunteers will need to complete one module: Online "Recognizing Child Abuse and Neglect Training" via your MCPS Classroom/Canvas Account. You can read the user guide here. Questions? Contact Saumya Sharma-Bhardwaj at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Buy yearbooks here. You can purchase Yearbook Recognition Ads. The flyer has more information.
- The 6th Grade Parent/Guardian Outdoor Ed meeting is scheduled for 12/6 from 7-8 pm on Zoom.
- At least 15-17 parent volunteers are needed each day for the 7th Grade Finance Park field trip on 1/22-1/24/24. The link to the MCPS site to volunteer is https://www.myja.org/parents/montgomery. Parents can volunteer one or more days. Parents will get trained at Edison HS the morning of the trip.
- Spring registration for boys or girls' soccer opens 1/29/24 at noon.
- Hoover's Counseling Team is looking for parent volunteers to join the student led Hoover No Place for Hate Committee. The committee's mission is to join the Anti-Defamation League's No Place for Hate movement and create sustainable positive change at Hoover. Its first task is to rally the school community together to sign the No Place for Hate Pledge. Meetings will be held monthly on Wednesdays from 3:15-4:15 pm starting 10/11. Contact Debbie Velasquez at 301-968-3750 or email Debra_M_Velasquez@mcpsmd.org for more information.
- The Science and Math Departments are celebrating STEM on 3/14/24 (Pi Day) from 5-7 pm. Parent volunteers are needed to present or run activities. Please complete the Volunteer Google Form if you're interested. They are also looking for new organizations to participate. If you or someone you know works with an organization like NOAA, NASA, Discovery, National Geographic or any other STEM related organization, or you know someone who works in a STEM related field, please contact Julie_a_Marsteller@mcpsmd.org.
- Here are the slides from the 6th Grade Parent Tea, slides from the 7th Grade Parent Tea and the slides from the 8th Grade Parent Tea.
MCPS Community News
- MCPS Things to Know, Thursday Nov. 16 provides information about how to prepare for your student's parent-teacher conference, calendar feedback, an important message about attendance, the youth apprenticeship program, how schools are giving back and saying thanks ahead of the fall break, and more.
- Read the latest edition of MCPS QuickNotes, which includes a calendar of events and MCPS news and information.
- Multiple elementary and middle schools in Maryland are among the best in the country, according to new rankings released by U.S. News & World. Montgomery County dominated the rankings with Herbert Hoover ranked #2 in the top 10 middle schools in Maryland!
- Review the MCPS Parent Message on the Importance of Student Attendance here.